Sunday, February 3, 2013

Sentimental Sunday - Women With Hats - Five 1870's Parisian Women

For this week's Women with Hats you get five for the price of one!  This wonderful, but somewhat faded CDV of five young, fashionable Parisian women was taken probably in the late 1870's.  I can't even begin to start describing their ensembles, they are just too delightful!  The skirts alone of their dresses with the ruffles, trim and diagonal designs have my eyes darting back and forth over  the photo.  The woman in the rear right has on the most lovely and stylish coat.  And of course, let's not forget the hats! Each of them is wearing an entirely different hat and each is totally stylish in its own right.  

The photographer was Hermet, perhaps Joseph Hermet, who reportedly appeared on the Paris photography scene sometime around 1872. About 1875 he bought the studio of Eugène Maunoury, a well-known artist and photographer.  I unfortunately do not know French, but using Google I believe the back of the photograph says that he sells portraits in oil, watercolor and miniatures, a collection of celebrities contemporaries. 



4 comments:

  1. Like you, I couldn't settle on what to look at first. Oh, for a time machine that would send me back to the streets of Paris where I might purchase such a lovely ensemble. I'm definitely putting "time machine" on my Christmas list this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my blogging partner, Teresa, had us follow you and I'm so glad she did! I really like this picture, paricularly the young girl on the right side. She looks like she can tell that she's being a bit clever, haha. Like you, I absolutely love finding these kind of old photos. I have one up in my room of a family, and the young girl in it looks so miserable, it's hilarious. She's making the biggest sourpuss face while everyone looks quite pleasant! There is a picture of it on my blog, but you might not be able to see that much of it.

    Emma
    emandtea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful picture full of so many interesting details! The hats are my favorite fashion piece in this image and my favorite young lady is the one standing in the back looking at the camera. While I do like side poses, my favorite is still the typical straight forward look into the camera pose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been really impressed by going through this awesome blog. hat

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...